Monday, September 20, 2010

Why is THIS at a Toys R Us?

I was shopping at a Toys R Us this weekend. Why was I there? I really shouldn't have to justify my presence at the Toys R Us, but forsome reason, every time I mention this little fact I get strange looks.

I was there because the store was closing and they were taking 70% off of everything.

I couldn't resist. You should have seen me when Circuit City went under in 2009. I was buying up things left and right. Every time they went up 10%, I was there to see what was now worth buying. I was a vulture, and I regret nothing as I got some great deals.

As I saw the signs going up for Toys R Us, I knew that I probably shouldn't head in there because it would just be too tempting, and I resisted until it was the final weekend and everything was 70% off. I had to see what was left, and the pickings, as they say, were slim. That is, until I saw it. Something that I grabbed instantly, something well worth 30% of retail price, and something whose presence raised a lot of questions.

It's a DVD of 'Not the Messiah: He's a Very Naughty Boy,' a comic opera based on Monty Python's Life of Brian. I saw this thing live, and thus I have seen Eric Idle, in person, sing 'Always Look on the Bright Side of Life.' That's a memory I will go to my grave treasuring, and a song I want sung at my funeral (but that's another post). I was glad to have seen it, even with the lousy seats which were all I could afford.  And now I'm glad to have the DVD.

By why is it in a Toys R Us? Really, who thinks this is appropriate for children? Did anyone actually see this before they put it on the shelf? Did they receive any complaints when clueless parents picked it up for their kids. (I would have loved to see that.)

These are questions that I don't have an answer to. All I know is that I found a DVD I've been wanting and paid very little for it. As for the rest, let's just not think about it. We'll preserve our sanity that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment